Dorothy Gale is not my namesake, yet I was born in 1989, fifty years after The Wizard of Oz’s theatrical release in Santa Fe, New Mexico. I received my Bachelor’s degree in Visual Studies cum laude from the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia in 2011 and my Master’s in Performance Design and Practice from Central Saint Martins, UAL in London in 2014.
In addition to working both in the United States and the UK, I have produced and shown work in Greece, Germany, Italy, India, and Mexico.
I work in both fine art and in theater, often bridging the two. Based on my education and my personal study, my work is firmly contextualized and situated in a theoretical framework. I’m interested in creating immersive, participatory experiences for viewers. I enjoy working in non-traditional spaces and creating pieces that respond to or are inspired by the history and stories of a building or landscape.
In addition to creating work on my own, I thrive in collaborative environments. I am a founding member of the international theater company Mapped Productions, which was created by the Performance Design and Practice Masters Cohort from the years 2013 and 2014. I have worked with other artists in residency programs in Berlin, Germany, and Oaxaca, Mexico.
My experiences traveling (solo and in groups) and working with other artists from different cultural backgrounds has greatly influenced my approach to making work. I am in a continuous process of translation and interpretation: I absorb information and inspiration and then must decipher and understand what I am hearing, seeing, reading, smelling. The raw data requires decryption. After intake, I process and re-encrypt ideas in a new, changed form. My artistic and practical processes are an imprecise yet dexterous way of interacting with the world.
I am based in Detroit, Michigan.
EDUCATION, RESIDENCIES AND ADDITIONAL PRODUCTIONS:
- University of the Arts London Central Saint Martins, MA Performance Design and Practice Fall 2012- Spring 2014
- University of Pennsylvania, BA Visual Studies, Art Practice and Technology, Fall 2007-Spring 2011
- Artist in Residency at Elsewhere, Greensboro, NC, Feb. 2017
- Artist in Residence at Arquetopia, Oaxaca City, Mexico, Oct.-Nov. 2014
- Resident as part of Mapped Productions at Inteatro, Polverigi, Italy, March 2014
- Artist in Residence at Takt Kunstprojektraum, Berlin, Germany, Apr.-Jun. 2012
- Art Installation- Tomb, Arquetopia Artist Residency and 411 Espacio/Fotográphico, Oaxaca, Mexico, Oct. 30-Nov. 2, 2014
- Group Exhibition- Zu Mir Oder Zu Dir– Takt Kunstprojektraum Artist Residency Exhibition, Jun. 16-28, 2012, Berlin Germany
- NY Art Marathon Finalist, Summer 2011, New York, NY
- Writer, Director, Costume and Set Design- The Institute of Anti-Entropic Anomaly, Light Box, Detroit MI, August 2016
- Dramatrugy and Costume Design- Mapped Productions’ Homo Sacer, Polverigi and Caos Turin, Italy, Spring 2016
- Concept, Writer, Dramatury, Costume and Prop Design- Mapped Productions’ Nova Insula, Mole Vanvitelliana, INTEATRO Festival 2015, Ancona, Italy, July 2015
- Concept, Dramaturg, Costume and Prop Design- Mapped Productions’ NaCl(Salt), Villa Nappi, INTEATRO Festival 2014, Polverigi, Italy, July 2014
- Writer, Director, Costume, Prop, Puppet, and Production Design- Katabasis, Studio Theatre, Central Saint Martins, London, UK, Spring 2014
- Writer, Director, and Production Design- Necrocartography: An Introduction, Central Saint Martins, London UK, Winter 2014
- Concept, Dramatury, and Costume Design- Mapped Productions’ Runner, Piraeus, Greece, Spring 2014
- Concept, Dramaturgy, and Costume Design- Mapped Productions’ (Uns)table, Rabbit Hole Theater and Embros Theater, Athens Greece, Platform Theater, London UK, Spring 2013
- Costume and Set Design- A Host of People’s Neither There Nor Here, Cleveland Public Theater Test Flight Series, Cleveland, OH, Mar. 27-Apr. 1
- Costume and Set Design- A Host of People’s The Golden Record, The Re-Release Party, The Jam Handy, Detroit, MI, Nov. 4-19, 2016, Links Hall, Chicago IL Apr. 28, 29, 30, 2017, Catapult, New Orleans, LA, May 5 and 6, 2017
- Costume Design- Seafoam Palace’s Islands of the Hollow Earth, Totems Riverfront Arts Festival, Aug. 5th, 2016
- Costume and Puppet Design- Agua de Luna (Psalms for the Rouge), Matrix Theatre Company, Detroit, MI, Feb. 26-Mar. 20, 2016
- Costume and Prop Design- Imitating The Dog’s The Train, Marche Teatro, Ancona, Italy, Sept.- Oct. 2015
- Costume Design- A Host of People’s The Harrowing– Detroit, MI, Aug.-Sept. 2015
- Costume Design- Aliki Kylika’s Pre-Bard//Post-Shard, Summer 2014, London Festival of Architecture, Somerset House, London UK
- Costume Design- Marco Turcich’s Histria, Spring/Summer 2014, Platform Theater, London UK
- Costume Design Assistant- Geraldine Pilgrim’s Toynbee, Artsadmin and Toynbee Studios, Winter 2013, London UK
- Costume Design [film]- Scott Lyman’s Swimming Pool Libraries, Fall 2013, London UK
- Props Design- Boxstep Productions’ Death Ship 666, Summer 2013-Winter 2014, Leicester Square Theater, The Courtyard Theater, Jermyn Street Theater, London and Edinburgh Free Fringe, Edinburgh UK
- Costume Design- Nayantara Kotian’s The George and Hazel Show, Battersea Arts Center Freshly Scratched Festival, June 1st 2013, London UK
GRANTS AND PRIZES
- Recipient of the Michigan Council for the Arts Young Leader: Retention and Engagement Grant for Re-Release Party: The Golden Record with A Host of People, 2016
- Recipient of the Charles Willson Peal Prize for Visual Studies at the University of Pennsylvania, 2011
- Mary L. and Matthew S. Santirocco College Alumni Society Undergraduate Research Grant, 2011
- NY Art Marathon Finalist, 2011